What could cause sharp pain with dry cough?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi , i have had really bad cold symptoms all last week then on friday my dry cough turned nasty giving me very sharp pain every time i cough, it is now monday and things haven't changed much except that i can smell an ammonia smell
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhino bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. In my opinion, you might be having allergic rhino bronchitis.
Sharp pain while coughing can be because of respiratory muscle spasm.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have empirically prescribed antihistamines + mucolytics combination drugs twice daily for 5 to 7 days.
Anti tussive cough syrup , 10 ml twice for 7 days.You can take these medication with local doctor prescription.
Do steam inhalation. Avoid oily and cold items.
If you have a nebulizer, then you can take steroid and saline nebulization which will really help you cough.
If symptoms persists, then please consult with your doctor and get evaluated.
You may need blood work, chest X ray, sputum analysis if present, ESR.
Depending on the report, if there is infection, then you may need penicillin antibiotics along with the medication advised by me.
Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju