question-icon

What could cause severe pain on one side of the face along with ear pain, sore throat and headache?

Posted on 5 days ago
Question: Good Morning, I am probably not the first terrified person to pose a question, but perhaps I shouldn’t have been searching for answers online.
My husband began having horrid pain on one side of his face. He couldn’t tell if it was an earache, sorethroat or a headache at times. He is also unable to open his mouth fully. He is and has been a chronic tongue biter when he eats.
His primary diagnosis was TMJ and sent him to a dental TMJ specialist. He had the full array of scans there and it showed a cartilage slip between the joint. There were no apparent tumors or lesions.
But, he also noticed a tongue deviation and had him make an appointment with an ENT. Me being the keyboard diagnostician have found nothing but horrible outcomes with the tongue deviation . I am really terrified, and wondering if my fears are founded . I thank you for whatever advice/direction you may offer.
Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Can be due to muscle weakness.

Detailed Answer:
The deviation of the tongue can happen due to tongue muscle weakness or due to a nerve related cause like nerve weakness or vitamin B 12 deficiency. The exact cause can be detected by a close examination by a neurologist. This may be related to a mild stroke. He needs a detailed examination to find the cause and treatment will then depend on the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon