What could cause right-sided abdominal cramps, dizziness and light bleeding during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 12 Nov 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor I have been experiencing right side cramps I am 11 weeks 6 days pregnant. I went to the doctor and they said I have a UTI infection so I started antibiotic yesterday to clear the infection. I have right side pelvic pain. At 7 weeks I went to the doctor and they did a scan and could see the baby and heartbeat all was good. After taking the antibiotic last night I experienced light bleeding on my underwear. I've attached Photo. I’m quite worried I’m feeling dizzy and weak and pain on my shoulder. Could this be a sign of a miscarriage, or is it due to the antibiotic the bleeding. I have no bleeding now just when I woke up I saw red in underwear but when I put tissue inside there was nothing. Only discharge.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to urine infection.

Detailed Answer:

The mild bleeding that you noticed on the underwear could be due to urine infection. The antibiotic is not likely to cause any such bleeding. If the heart beat was present at 7 weeks then there should not be anything to worry. The slight bleeding can also be suggestive of a miscarriage if it is persistent. You need to continue with the antibiotic and then self monitor the bleeding. Do take absolute bed rest and consult a gynecologist in case the bleeding persists.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
OBGYN

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Hi doctor I only had the bleeding in the morning after that nothing has shown up apart from discharge and I’m having little pelvic pain and shoulder pain on right side. I want to show u the photo of the red bleeding how it looked it’s not uploading here where can I send it so u can see. The bleeding light bleeding was only in the morning and since then there is nothing.

Photo has been uploaded
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is mild bleeding only.

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the uploaded photo. The bleeding is a mild one. If the bleeding continues then you need to consult your gynecologist and get an ultrasound scan done to check the well being of the fetus.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal,
OBGYN
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Ok thanks doctor I have no bleeding only right side pain too much
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain is due to infection.

Detailed Answer:

The pain will subside as the infection decreases. Till then, you can have an antispasmodic like Drotaverine for relief.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal,
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Why am I getting shoulder pains?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related to this.

Detailed Answer:

Shoulder pain has no relationship with this, do hot water fomentation and take muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside daily, you will get relief.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal,
OBGYN
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
I was reading that shoulder tip pain is associated with an ectopic pregnancy. But at 6weeks and 6 days scam we saw heartbeat and yolk sac. I am having severe migraine shoulder and back pain it’s really painful. Could it be the side effect of the medication.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome.

Detailed Answer:

When you have done the scan and everything is normal than there is no chance of an ectopic pregnancy. Pain in the shoulder and back may be due to some bone problem, there are no side effects of this medicine so take Thiocolchicoside twice daily or consult an orthopedics surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal,
OBGYN