What could cause radical changes in vision between deterioration of nearsightedness and dramatic improvement to clearer vision?

Dr. Varinder Joshi

Posted on 3 days ago in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I previously wrote in about how my vision suddenly improved from being nearsighted to clearer vision without the aid of glasses. I was concerned by this sudden improvement and saw an optometrist. After examining my eyes the doctor reported that she found nothing abnormal about my eyes but she said the lens had changed shape resulting in my improved vision. This was about 3 weeks ago. In the past few days my vision has suddenly deteriorated. I am once again nearsighted. I saw my primary care doctor and he seemed very puzzled about my fluctuating vision. He referrred me to an ophthalmologist which I have not seen yet. I am diabetic but I had my A1C checked four weeks ago and it was 4.8. My blood sugar has been running in the 90s. My doctor doesn't think my vision problems are related to the diabetes. I'm very concerned about my vision going back and forth from dramatic improvement to deterioration within a month's time. What would cause this?
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

Your fluctuating eye sight is related to diabetes. Your sugar levels are fluctuating and with that the hydration content of the lens is fluctuating. Keep a check on your sugar level.

HbA1c gives last 3 months overall idea of sugar. You have to get frequent checks of sugar of FBS and RBS. Try to maintain a fixed amount of exertion per day.

As on day 1, a person walks 2 kms and on the second, he walks for 4 kms, so level of sugar will fluctuate.

I request you to also be careful about the calories you take and the Glycemic Index of foods. Once your sugar levels are stabilized your vision will stabilize too.

I hope I have solved your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.

Dr. Varinder Joshi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Varinder Joshi 1 hour later
I kept track of my blood sugars from the time my vision improved until it began to get worse. If it will help determine in any way if blood sugar is affecting my vision by giving you a sample of the readings I took during this time period, I will list them.
98, 104,121,108,105,107,121, 118,97 (at this point my A1C was checked 4.8). 109,118,105,96,110,90,96,90,105,94,94,106,100,97, 96,99,98,96,120,99,98,96,96,129,99,92,106.

It seems to me that for the most part they are fairly consistent. The few high readings I had were preceded by eating either more carbohydrate or sugar. I hope this will help by seeing what my blood sugars have been.
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Okay

Detailed Answer:

Please get a complete examination of the eye by an eye surgeon as I can see that the levels are almost within a range.

Get yourself examined for cataract or glaucoma and especially the retina.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.

Dr. Varinder Joshi
Follow up: Dr. Varinder Joshi 15 minutes later
Thank you for your response and suggestions. I will definitely see a specialist to see if I can find the reason for the fluctuating vision. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:

I again stress that you keep track of diabetes by fasting blood sugar and sugar level 2 hours after food.

I wish you all the best. Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you.

Dr. Varinder Joshi