What could cause pungent nasal odor while breathing?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been experiencing an odor when I inhale. I cannot identify the smell but it is a little pungent, not offensive. Increased air flow ie. a breeze, into my nose seems to intensify the odor. It is not constant and varies in intensity day and evening from non existent to very pronounced.
I have just finished a 10 day regiment of antibiotics to rule out an infection but the smell still remains.
I will be following up with my doctor this week, but she is also not sure of the cause.
I can live with it but I am concerned about the possible cause of the odor.
Sincerely,
XXXXXXX xxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Higher investigative work up is required

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

I can certainly understand your concern

I have worked through your attached query in detail

Considering your symptoms and Treadmill response to antibiotics it's advisable to go ahead with further evaluation through higher investigative work up.

For this I advise you to go for HRCT SCAN OF PARANASAL SINUSES ( high resolution CT scan) to rule out obstructive lesions of paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity which can cause altered perception of smell.

Further management if any is largely based on test results. Review with reports to determine further course of action.

Post your further queries if any
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T