What could cause persistent swelling in the legs and feet and pins and needles sensation in the big toe?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 5 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My legs and feet stay swollen. I have the sensation of a needle sticking me in my big toes. I also experience aggravating feelings in my legs as well. Especially when laying down or sitting. I am 50.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Are you on any medications?

Detailed Answer:

There are a couple of things that can cause swollen legs:

1. Decreased strength of blood vessels, especially the veins, to return blood to the heart. This is common in people with weight difficulties such as overweight and obesity.

2. Kidney problems: Develops over time and often in the context of hypertension, diabetes and chronic use of pain medications such as Tylenol, Naproxen etc.

3. Heart issues such as heart failure. This is often accompanied with shortness of breath and difficulties lying flat in bed.

4. Liver issues, malnutrition, sitting/standing for too long, medications, etc.

Best approach is to get evaluated and allow some blood work to establish the exact cause so as to allow for precise treatment. In the meantime, avoid excess salt intake, raise your legs whenever possible and avoid standing upright for too long.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Dr. Ivo Ditah
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 12 minutes later
I have read recently that chronic pain and swollen kegs/ feet could be a sign of cancer. I have some female issues going on also. My pain is in my lower back, sometimes its so severe when I wake up I can't hardly sit up to get out of bed. This pain is every day and it also hurts when I'm sitting on the toilet trying to wipe myself. There have been times I couldn't do that. In expeiencind pain in my upper arms. This pain feels like it's in the bone coming from my shoulder.I XXXXXXX had a period since December. Three is pain with intercourse. And a not so good oder.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
I recommend you get an MRI of the spine!

Detailed Answer:

This is not cancer. The diffused nature of the pain makes cancer not a possibility at this time.

I do suspect you might have some nerves pinched at the level of the vertebral column. I recommend you get a CT-scan of the lumbar segment for evaluation.

With these results, we would do further review and guide accordingly. Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ivo Ditah