What could cause persistent earache and jaw pain despite any infection and how can it be treated?
Serous otitis media seems to be the case- advises given
I carefully read your question and understand your concern with the symptoms going for almost 3 weeks now.
By what you explain it seems very likely you have blocked Eustachian tubes.
These connect the space in the ear with the throat to help the ears drain and balance pressures when these tubes are blocked pressure builds in the ear and gives the dull pain you have and also sometimes sharp pains as well.
Medically this condition is called otitis media with effusion or serous otitis media.
It might take weeks for the tube oedema to settle and it's function to be restored.
Sometimes treatment with antihistamines can be tried like Loratadine or Cetirizine (Benadryl can be tried also but causes sleepiness so you have to be cautious).
These can be tried but literature does not find them very effective in some patients.
Also, nasal steroids drops or spray can be tried as through the nasal passages they can go to the eustachian tube and possibly reduce oedema there and help relieve the symptoms but still the effect is very scarce in the literature.
If your nose feels blocked saline solution nasal lavage is very recommended to remove any secretions that might be blocking.
Drink plenty and do the manoeuvres that open the tubes (holding the nose and blowing them while you hold them).
Taking Naproxen twice a day after food (as it can be hard on the stomach) can help with the symptoms.
The symptoms might get a total of 6 weeks and in a few cases even longer.
If the doctor has not seen an infection in the ear canal and the tympanic membrane is clear that the chances of infection are almost absent.
It is good you are seeing your doctor again so he can confirm how the ear canals and the tympanic membranes look.
If they still have no redness or secretions than there is no bacterial infection and antibiotics will not help.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Antoneta Zotaj, MD
General & Family Physician
It's a pleasure
It's a pleasure to be able to help you,
Please feel free to let us know if any more concerns related to this.
I wish you will be well soon.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Zotaj Antoneta
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause and treatment for jaw pain
- Persistent jaw pain
- Sinus infection cause jaw pain
- Jaw pain taking advil what could be this
- Earache jaw pain and cant close jaw
- Earache jaw pain and mucus in throat
- Ear infection jaw pain
- Sinus infection and jaw pain
- How to treat jaw pain
- Earache jaw pain and feel shaky
- What causes an episode of chills, dizziness and focusing issues?
- What causes mildly raised INR level despite taking Warfarin?
- What does the following colposcopy report indicate?
- What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?
- What causes a red rash on the arm?
- What causes diarrhea, severe cramps and bloating?
- Suggest treatment for small bumps between the legs and near the buttocks
- What causes redness in the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for severe joint pain in the knees, elbows and ankles
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and mouth ulcers while having...