question-icon

What could cause numbness in the lateral three fingers and face?

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018
Question: Today when I woke up I experienced numbess in three fingers (i do not know how they are called, not the index not the thumb) and numbness in my face. Now thwo hours later I am fine.What do you think that is. Is it something serieous?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Ulnar nerve irritation.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your questions and I understand your concerns and the burden of helping your husband and I highly appreciate it.

Numbness of the lateral three fingers is usually caused by ulnar nerve irritation which can be due to a number of reasons such as:
- Vitamin B12 deficiency or
- Overuse (which I assume is the case due to pressure exerted on your hands and arms while helping your husband).

So, I would recommend that you take a blood test for Vitamin B 12 levels and get a neurologist examination together with a nerve conduction study to determine if the ulnar nerve is entrapped or the position where it is most irritated.

As for the face numbness, it could also be caused by:
- Vitamin B12 deficiency or
- Could be due to more serious condition such as transient ischemic attacks which is transient deficiency of brain blood supply.

So, I would recommend that you get a carotid angiography to exclude that cause.

Unfortunately the report was not successfully attached so please reattach it in a follow up query.

I hope you find the answer helpful.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman