What could cause increasing debilitating pain in groin area and unusual swelling in a calf?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 in General Health
Question: My 90 year old mom has so much pain in her crotch area that she can't stand or lift the leg. It's been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks when she could still walk but with difficulty. Her dr. Said it's arthritis and there's nothing he can do and dismiss it. The pain is in the crease of her leg , groin area, but not the crotch and it doesn't seem to be located at her hip. I was going to call an ambulance and take her to the ER. It's been 2 days now of severe suffering, and one more thing that calf of the same leg is really swollen but not painful. She has not fallen or bumped into anything
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible deep vein thrombosis or hernia

Detailed Answer:

Yes, she should see a doctor as soon as possible since it may be deep vein thrombosis or femoral hernia and she should do tests to rule this out. I don't think this is related to arthritis if pain is present during rest. She should take Tramadol for pain and keep the leg elevated.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein,
General Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T