What could cause excruciating pain from the shoulder radiating to the fingers in an elderly lady?
The cause needs to be found first.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
I saw the pictures that you uploaded too.
That type of painful contracture is usually seen after stroke, so, in my opinion, stroke should be evaluated and excluded first.
Another possible condition that may cause such pain and contracture is Wolkmann contracture or ischemic contracture of the hand and forearm that may be caused by blood supply impairment of the forearm in your mother's case.
So, before to be treated for the contracture is necessary to find the cause first.
A medical evaluation and tests such brain imaging, Doppler ultrasound of the affected arm are necessary for this purpose.
Discuss with your mother's Doctor about getting evaluated further.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Rytary use could also cause muscle cramps.
Rytary use may result in muscles cramps as a possible adverse effect, so, it should be taken into consideration, however, conditions mentioned before in our discussion are still possible, because, the spasms of the muscles are located only in one hand.
So, if these conditions are excluded as possible explanations of the hand and forearm muscles cramps/spasms, Rytary remains an option.
Clonazepam generally acts as a muscle relaxer.
Hope this helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause pain in fingers during swimming
- What is the cause of stomach pain and shoulder pain
- What causes severe pain in shoulders and numbness in fingers
- What causes tailbone pain and shoulder pain
- What could cause pain in neck and shoulder area
- What is the cause of shoulder pain radiating to elbow
- What causes shoulder pain with tingling feeling in fingers
- What could cause shoulder pain and swollen middle finger
- Excruciating shoulder pain possible causes
- What could cause stabbing pain on abdomen and shoulder
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?