What could cause constant wheezing and shortness of breath?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Jul 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have had mild wheezing off and on for several years, seeing my family doctor almost yearly, the recent cold spell has exaggerated my symptoms quite a bit. I wake up in the morning coughing and clearing congestion from my lungs for 5 to 10 minutes, mostly clear in color, and then get on with work. throughout the day the wheezing and shortness of breath will show up. I have an Albuterol Inhaler, Ventolin HFA for this. Also, I was just prescribed Flovent HFA, which I started using yesterday, additionally am on Lisinopril 20 mg and otc Cetrizine Esomeprazole for acid reflux. I am wondering if a Pulmonary Workup should be considered.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please consult a pulmonologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

As you explain the history yes in my opinion you should be examined by a specialist pulmonologist for probably further examinations of the lungs.

If you were my patient i would recommend you to do a chest X Ray and a Spirometry test with bronchodilatators.

It is important to find the correct diagnosis and than it would be the proper treatment.

Please discuss with your doctor for the above or when you get the results you can attach me them and i will try to help you again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad