What could cause circular spots on the left hand?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor, I've been wanting to get this condition checked, but never bothered. I'm attaching a picture of my left hand where you'll see that in the middle there are some round/circle shaped spots/dots. I really don't know what are they actually called. They've never troubled me though, but I just wonder why do they appear on my skin and how to I get rid of them. After sometime, the heads get dried out and then I get an urge to peel off the top. Doing so gives me a temporary feeling of subsiding it, but it kind of grows back. It is not very bulging though, but is a bothering thing on my left hand. Recently (couple of years), they also starter appearing (2 dots) on one of my fingers. Middle finger lower inner side, where it touches the ring finger. I'm curious to know if this is of any threat or not. Any corrective measures that I should take? Please suggest/advice. Kind Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Warts / Verrucae

Detailed Answer:

I have viewed the images. These raised, rough looking spots are actually viral warts - verruca vulgaris.. It is an infection caused by human papilloma virus (HPV). I suggest you get them fulgurated with either electrocautery or radiofrequency cautery or freeze them with liquid nitrogen spray.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 20 hours later
Thanks for your response Doctor.

Is this condition contagious? And if so, how to prevent from further spread?
Do these warts have any relation to the lifestyle pattern of a person (eating, exercise, etc)?

Coming to your suggested remedies: fulgurated with either electrocautery or radiofrequency cautery or freeze them with liquid nitrogen spray; I have some questions:

(1) How painful are these treatments?
(2) What is the estimated cost and time required for each of them?
(3) And what are the downsides of letting this stay as-is, not treating it?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding warts

Detailed Answer:

Hi.

Warts/verruca vulgaris are contagious. It is an infection caused by Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and spread by close skin to skin contact or contact with infected surface.

Early treatment of existing warts is the best way to prevent further spread. You must have acquired the infection from someone with infection or contact with an infected surface.

The procedure for removal of wart is usually done under local anesthesia so you won't feel any pain. Removal of warts is a minor procedure and the cost of procedure would vary between 2-3 K for up to 5 lesions. If untreated they may increase in numbers and spread to other areas and to other close contacts.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist