What could cause a painful bruises below scar from cholecystectomy?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have little bruises below the scar left by a cholestestecomy from many years (25) ago. There is no pain, but it is concerning as I did have some pain about a month ago in that area. The pain (stabbing in nature) has come and gone many times since I had the operation. The bruises were first noticed about 3 weeks ago, Please advise. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the requested data...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.
Before running into final conclusions, I'd like to know if:
- you can send a picture of the bruises?
- do you have bruises in other parts of your body? can you send the picture too?
- have you visited your doctor recently? any lab test result?
- any recent trauma?

The presence of bruises below the scar left by a cholecystectomy might be related to many factors. First, I need to have the above-mentioned information. From what you are describing, the causes to bruises might be any trauma you had 3 weeks ago withing noticing.

Looking forward to have the requested data in!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Attached are two pics (they are quite similar) of the bruises on my stomach. I don't have bruises anywhere else.

I had blood tests done a few months ago and all was normal.

No trauma to the area. I first noticed them a bout three weeks ago. They don't seem to have faded.

About a month ago I was experiencing stabbing pain in the scar area. This has been going on for a long time though, although these pains were more severe.

It's perplexing. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

I have gone through the picture you sent in.

It seems to be related to a trauma you had without noticing to being injured. From what I have seen, it seems to be under healing process.

The stabbing pain is related to trauma you had (although you can't remember it).
I advise to apply heparin cream locally for a few days if everything resulted normal in your blood tests.

If the pain will persist for a few days after using heparin cream, I advise to get an abdominal ultrasound and consult with dermatologist for further evaluation.

All the best!
Dr.Albana
You don't think it could be due to the stabbing pain I was experiencing for a couple of weeks about 3-4 weeks ago? It seems like it could be more than a coincidence. Thanks.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

From the photos you sent it, I think you hit on any object (around the house or office). It is normal to have pain after the hit.

You can run an abdominal ultrasound for further evaluation if your blood work resulted normal. Dermatologist consultation is needed to exclude other skin conditions. This is all I can think from what you are describing and photos.

All the best!
Dr.Albana