What could cause a metallic taste in your mouth?

Question
Four times in the past 3 weeks ive experienced pretty extreme nausea and vomitting along with cramps. Before getting ill i noticed a horrible tastse when i had to burp. Each time the sick looked exactly the same.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely gastric acid reflux disease

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I have read your question and I understand your concern.
The horrible taste that you notice when you burp is from gastric acid coming into your mouth. It has a metallic taste and sometimes it is also described as burning and horrible. The reflux can have so much gastric content that it triggers the nausea and vomiting centers and make you feel like this.
It also makes sense that in between occurrences you felt fine. Normally in my clinic, I would treat such patients with PPIs, like omeprazole 20mg twice daily for at least 4 weeks.
Now, the problem is that the information collected from this query is not enough to establish a diagnosis, that's why I highly recommend you to visit a gastrointestinal specialist.
Nausea and vomiting are mostly benign symptoms, but sometimes they can be caused by more malignant and serious conditions. Thus I recommend you to do a visit and to be thoroughly examined, your liver, pancreas and stomach.
In the meantime, try to quit smoking, alcohol, and don't eat chocolates.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.

Follow-up: What could cause a metallic taste in your mouth? 17 hours later
i don't drink or smoke. each episode lasts a couple of hours and then i feel okay enough to eat as normal.
in the past i've had issues with reflux, and feeling ill after eating. but these episodes are very different. each time the sickness has been the exact same, and did not resemble food i had consumed.
the cramps were more uncomfortable than painful. the nausea was very strong. i would get sick 3 or 4 times in each episode, the quantity reducing to the point of empty reach.

Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to see a GI specialist

Detailed Answer:
From what you describe, it seems that you do not suffer from the common causes I mentioned in the previous answer about nausea and vomiting. Your condition seems more complicated. It can result from cholecystitis, bowel problems (ischemia, irritation) psychological problems (psychosomatic problem) or from a cancerous origin (prostate cancer)
All these conditions need a specific evaluation, thus I highly recommend you to visit a gastrointestinal specialist, and have all the tests done and your condition assessed thoroughly.
Hope I have helped you!
Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.