question-icon

What could cause a dry and sore tongue?

Posted on Fri, 16 Nov 2018
Question: Hey doctor,

The last two days now I have had this sore and dry tongue for some reason that just randomly came on when I woke up in the morning. It feels like a cut in the middle but a bit further to the front. There are no visible signs of a cut or anything at all on the tongue it looks normal. It does sometimes look a little white but I think that may be because of I breathe through my mouth a lot?

I have also noticed that I am craving sweets a little more as well and my first thought was diabetes but I have actually tested only a couple months ago now for it and it was normal with the blood glucose fasting test, also the ketones levels etc? The only other thing I can think of is a candida overgrowth possibly? Last year I was on antibiotics for acne along with proton pump inhibitors as I have been having a lot of digestives issues the last 3 years with gas, bloating, stomach pains and have had a gastroscopy/colonoscopy for it. I read that they can sometimes allow overgrowth of candida in the digestive system?

I have attached some images and have circled roughly where it feels sore for me on my tongue.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Your tongue looks normal!

Detailed Answer:

Your tongue looks good. With a recent test for diabetes that returned normal, this is unlikely to be related to diabetes. Besides, diabetes would have always caused increased thirst, urination and fatigue; none of which you have reported.

You tongue shows no traces of thrush or excessive candida overgrowth. If your gastroscopy and colonoscopy were all good, then your digestives symptoms are probably related to dyspepsia. I would like to know what your gastroenterologist said about this.

I hope this addresses your worries. I wish you well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah,
Dr. Ivo Ditah