What could be the reason for recurrent and repeated infections that are plaguing in diabetic patient?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm a diabetic. told I have eczema in ears. Oct 2013 got really sick. ears plugged off with enlarged glands and lymph nodes, throat and chest infection too.after cleared I got a boil (?) in left ear. ruptured & excreted green/yellow pus. now infection is blisters in ear and canal. I've also been sick with sores on neck, arms, top head and pubic area (ingrown infected folicles?). Also had bladder infection. immune system hasn't been the same.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Diabetes should be brought under control Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, I am Dr Rajkishori Godhi. I answered another one of your queries just now. Ok ... so I took a look at your pictures. The recurrent and repeated infections that are plaguing you are most probaably due to uncontrolled diabetes. Diabetic individuals become prone for a variety of infcetions if the sugars are very high. For your ear infection you will require a course of antibiotics... I personally prefer amoxicillin and clavulanic acid combo. Works best for boils. But if you have already taken a course of some antibiotic and failed to clear the infection then it is worth while to get a culture and sensitivity test of the pus from the boil. It will give us an idea about the infecting bacteria and also the antibiotics it is sensitive to. Please ask your ENT for the same. Above all I would like to stress again that it is extremely important to get the blood sugars tested as soon as is possible. You will require both fasting as well as post prandial sugars and HbA1c done. Please see a physician for control of sugars. Unless the sugars are brought under control you will continue to have recurrent infections. Once the sugars are brought under control it will be easy to control infections. You wanted to know if it is MRSA in your other query. It can be known only after culture and sensitivity test. Feel free to follow up, Regards, Dr Rajksihori Godhi.