What could be the reason for passing out while dealing with severe vomiting and diarrhea?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had an incident this morning where I started to get a funny feeling, turn pale and then passed out fell to the floor and vomited. I awoke pretty quickly. I think I have food poisoning, since I ended up vomiting a lot and had diarrhea. Just wondering why I passed out. I also have a small bump on my forehead so i think I landed on my head, fell to the floor from the toilet seat. I don't have a headache but I am on aspirin and have type 2 diabetes. My glucose was 111 at that time

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible hypotension secondary to fluid loss.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Madam,

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your attached query in detail.

The possibility of hypotension related fall is high in your case secondary to Gastrointestinal loss of fluids in the form of vomiting and diarrhea is very high.

Aspirin and antidiabetic medications should be continued as usual.

The acute Gastrointestinal infection require oral antibiotics at the earliest to prevent further spread of infection.

Likewise adequate hydration in the form of electrolyte rich oral rehydration solution is must. Adequate water intake around 2 to 3 liters per day must be maintained.

Head injury (contusion) should be taken care of and should be observed for any expansion.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 9 hours later
I am feeling better now but is it possible to have hypotension before I started vomiting and diarrhea? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it's possible.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Madam,

Yes, it's possible.

If you are in a state of relative dehydration before GI losses occur, then hypotension can occur.

If you have such falls on more regular basis, then it's advisable to screen yourself for cardiac conduction defects (to rule out syncope) via 24 hr ambulatory HOLTER ECG recording.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 10 hours later
Ok That explains it.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the acceptance.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Madam,

Thank you for your response and acceptance.

Wishing you a good health.

Dr. Suresh Heijebu, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad