question-icon

What could be the possible cause for tightness of the muscle in the right forearm with past clinical history of 3 surgeries on the right shoulder and the right thumb?

Posted on Wed, 26 Sep 2018
Question: I have had what I beleive to be muscle tightness in my right forearm for several months. It bothers me when I do Pull-ups but not Chin-ups. Discomfort has progressed to my thumb and wrist area and up through my arm and shoulder. I even feel a bit a pain brushing my teeth. Flexing my wrist downward is also uncomfortable. I have had 2 surgeries on my right shoulder and a surgery on my right thumb, all football injuries. I am 49 and exercise daily. I did give my arm a break last week by doing only cardio for 5 straight days. I've been battling through but was really uncomfortable working out today. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible damage of the nerve of the arm.

Detailed Answer:

It looks like you may have a damage of the nerve of the arm. The cause may be either your past injuries or the overuse during the workout. It needs 4-6 weeks for the nerve to heal.

During this time it is recommended to protect the arm from further injury. Continue using the topical ointment- 3-4 times per day. Also, you will need to take a painkiller to reduce not only the pain but also the inflammation. I generally recommend Ibuprofen. After that start gradually with your workout.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor. Physical therapy helps a lot too with the advice of specific exercises.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako