Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

What could be the cause of painful small dark lump on the side of anus and how can it be treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
small dark lump on side of anus that hurts. 3months ago i had to visit med center at work because i could not walk without pain. I was told it was a cyst, and given anti biotics which took the swelling down. But i am now left with this small lump that can be painful. is this still the effects of the cyst.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

From the symptoms that you have described, three possibilities are coming to my mind which need to be evaluated. These include:
1) Cyst
2) Hemorrhoids / piles especially external piles
3) wart or benign skin growth

Chances of this lump being due to hemorrhoid are maximum. First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Just make sure to increase your fluid intake when you increase your fiber in the diet.

You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

However for specific treatment and diagnosis, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy.

Nowadays, laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used. If it is a cyst then since it is causing pain, it has to be removed surgically.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor