What could be the cause of getting one side headache?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: hi, I am a getting a severe headache on the left side portion of my head can u tell me what to do
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are most likely suffering from Migraines Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for your query. I wish you had given me as much information/description about the headache, as possible . This would have helped me immensely to pinpoint the EXACT cause of your headache, its specific treatment and prevention. If you wish to have true value for your money, please let me know your age; periods regular/irregular; presence of anxiety/mental stress/depressive feeling; frequency of headaches per month; since how long have you been having headaches; how long does the headache last and what relieves it; symptoms associated with headache. Nevertheless, you seem to be suffering from migraine attacks. these are quite common in females, particularly in those who are passing through mental stress. In the meanwhile- pending receipt of additional information from you-, if you do come to know BEFOREHAND that you are going to have a headache (this is called Aura), take Tablet Suminat 100mg AS SOON AS YOU REALIZE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO DEVELOP HEADACHE. This drug will abort the headache. However, to completely cure you of migraines permanently, a long course (6-12 months) of prophylactic treatment would have to be take REGULARLY. I will let you know what to take, once I hear back from you along with the additional information, as asked for above. Till then, Have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 8 hours later
I will get headache twice in a month approximately most of the times if I go to hot sun around 12PM in the AFTERNOON My periods are regular cycle of 28 days, age is 25 years, as working in software little mental stress no depression around an year i am having headaches from past 1 year increasing the frequency of getting headaches. Along with headache vomiting sometimes with which the headache will lost after vomiting. Thank you XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Prophylactic treatment will cure headaches. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Welcome back! Your symptoms are suggestive of Migraine attacks, though you have not mentioned how many hours do the headaches last. Take a preventive treatment for Migraines, which is : course of anti-depressants (such as, Serteraline) + Anti-anxiety drug (such as, Clonazepam) and Beta-blocker (such as atenolol) REGULARLY FOR 6-12 MONTHS. Note that these drugs are very effective for curing migraines. As already mentioned, taking Sumatriptan as soon as you realize that you are about to get headache, will abort it. Lastly, a CT scan of brain should be done to rule out any lesion. Consult your doctor and discuss my opinion/recommendation with him. I am sure he will agree with me and, prescribe the advised treatment in appropriate doses. Hope you find my response helpful, informative and to your satisfaction. The website rules prohibit prescription of medicines by brand names. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal