What could be the cause for throbbing ankle joints?

Dr. Moustafa Saeed

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What is the most likely cause of throbbing ankle joints and feet that keep me up at night and become worsened throughout the day. My ankles, as well as my wrists have been prone to "popping" since I was a child but has only become worse as I got older. I am now 23, active and healthy and can hardly step out of bed in the morning from painfully swollen feet and throbbing ankle joints. I find that no NSAID pain relievers or muscle relaxers help, but compression does.

Thanks for your help,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possibly inflamatory arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX:

Thank you for your question to XXXXXXX

As you have multiple swollen and painful joints then the most likely cause is inflammatory arthritis. Many conditions can cause or associate with inflammatory arthritis.

I will recommend blood test to look for inflammatory markers and also to look for rheumatoid factors level.
There is long list of tests can be done to investigate inflammatory arthritis, but the above are the initial basic tests.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T