What could be the cause for rough bumpy skin in labia minora?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have rough bumpy skin my labia Minora that seems enlarged recently after what May have been an infection. All symptoms are infection are gone but rough bumpy skins remains with occasional mild stinging irritation. Also have been soaking in diluted ACV bath and notice what appears to be white dead skin clumps in water dispelled from vagina. Nothing uncomfortable but should I be concerned about the bumps? I have applied act directly and they don't appear to turn white.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I have gone through the picture uploaded. It appears as if you have a yeast infection still. The labia look typically inflamed, rough and have those small fissures or cuts that are typical of yeast infection. You mentioned a recent infection, did you visit a doctor and have it confirmed, or just self treated it ? I would suggest an appointment with your doctor. Persistent, recurrent or lingering yeast infections can lead to long standing complications. Please have an internal evaluation - per vaginum and per speculum, and a vaginal swab, to confirm the type of infection. Stop soaking in ACV for the time being. Just use local Clotrimazole cream / ointment on the vulva and labia, and Clotrimazole vaginal suppositories . I strongly suggest this should be done AFTER an internal evaluation by a doctor, as self medication is not advisable for vaginal infections. Also, for cleaning yourself, just use plain lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry. Stay away from all kinds of cleansers, gels, soaps, douches. They just alter the vaginal pH, and disrupt the normal bacterial flora, thus predisposing the vagina to infections. Wear clean and dry cotton underwear and change often. If you have had such infections recurrently and frequently, two things must be done - 1. Test your blood sugars to rule out diabetes. 2. Get an STD screen for yourself and your partner. All the best. PLease feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 hours later
thank you for your response. What in the picture suggest that I may still have a yeast infection? I did self treat symptoms what seemed to be mild symptoms anyway with homeopathic treatments. I have had yeast infections in the past, but they were definitely different with more traditional symptoms and never noticed the bumpy skin become rougher or more bumpy. I have not had anything that appeared to be cut like or broken skin or had the appearance that there was fluid or puss inside the bump, not even really sensitive to the touch. I had an occasional very mild burn when I urinated but that is gone as well. My follow up questions are: First is the texture of my interior labia minora normal and second is this a normal symptom or side effect of a yeast infection? My fear, of course, is that it looks somewhat warty although it is sort of linear and consistent on both sides which from what I read is not typical of warts. I do have another picture that is much more clear if that would be helpful. I just need to know how to send from this point. thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you for the appreciation. There are small minute fissures or cracks on the labial surfaces, suggestive of fungal infection. ALso, the labia appear red and inflamed. Chronic yeast infections can lead to thickening and fibrosis of the labia. There would not be fluid or pus, just small fissures, hairline cracks, sort of. The interior looks normal, I hope you understand that I need to examine it ( feel it , take some tests ) to conclusively say this. Yes, in long standing or chronic infections, this is a normal symptom, hence the caveat - do not self medicate at least this time, seek medical opinion and a proper prescription that will clear the infection for good. It just does not appear warty to me at all . The same way you uploaded the previous picture, please upload other ones if you feel they are clearer. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
I have uploaded a new picture that I believe to be more clear. While the bumps are on both sides they are not consistent in size or appearance it seems. I have not had any whitening with the acv previously though, even with more concentrated applications. I will stop the self treatment though and try to get in to see my internist. please let me know if this picture still appears indicative of what a yeast infection can look like. I had some milky white discharge but nothing cottage cheese like or thick with the exception of what looks like skin cells. thank you for your response.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Brief Answer: VULVAL PAPPILLOMATOSIS LIKELY Detailed Answer: Hello again No this recent picture does not lead me to believe that you have yeast infection right now. It is much more clear than the previous one. The inner aspect of your labia is bumpy with very small fine projections - they are clearly visible in this picture, not in the previous one. I can very well understand your confusion with warts - I think this is vulval papillomatosis. It is a normal harmless counterpart , often confused with genital warts. Nothing needs to be done for it. But still, a consultation with a doctor will confirm this diagnosis. I will attach a few links that you can go through for your information and reassurance - WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW br/request?dv10082 Take care, and do revert if you have any doubts.