Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

What could be the cause excessive itchiness on testicle sac and penis shaft ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
I am 63 and iun good health. In the past I have had unprotected sex with a lady. She has provided oral sex to me. For the past year or so, my testicle sac and outside shaft of penis just itches like crazy. I wash with soap and scrub like heck to no avail. I have used jock itch powders and sprays, even athletes foot sprays and alcohol but no success. When i wash it hurts but almost feels good the more I scrub. I do need a double hernia operation and was wondering if being a tad overweight and having my testicles hang down can cause the itching. I drive a great deal for a living and it seems like my testicles always sweat and get moist after a ling drive. Can you suggest anything?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Excessive itching is not likely to be due to hanging down of testicles though heavy sweating and heat during the drive can cause some infections to flare up.

The most likely causes in your case seem to be-

1.Dermatitis- caused by infections mostly fungal, allergies, and irritants (such as soaps, certain creams).Lesions are usually in the form of itchy small red bumps.

When become white headed, it may indicate a secondary bacterial infection and formation of pus.

2.Herpes simplex - Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by herpes virus type2. It results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion), genital irritation, itching, they burst into the sores turns into crust, that scab and heal in about 3 weeks.

Special tests include:

Blood tests, Microscopic examination of tissue scrap from lesions, Viral cell culture test.

3.Scabies- It is a Bug infestation and the main symptom is itching. An examination by dermatologist will help in the diagnosis.Recurrence is common if not treated properly.

4. Eczema- Again itching, dryness and red spots appear due to eczema. An examination from your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will prescribe the drugs best for you.Many a times it has got a seasonal association also.

Direct clinical examination is essential to rule out the above conditions.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What could be the cause excessive itchiness on testicle sac and penis shaft ? 2 hours later
I have no red sores, bumps or blister like lesions nor any sores breaking open. Just this itching that is driving me crazy. Sometimes I wipe myself with alcohol and that sems to help but only for a short time. I have tried A-D ointment for diaper rash and that seems to be the best as well as creams for jock-itch.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

It seems that you are having dermatitis with fungal infection intermittently.

It could most probably be Jocks itch.

Since the two primary causes of jock itch are excess moisture and fungal infections, treatment depends on the exact cause of the jock itch. Treatment of jocks itch associated with skin irritation and excess moisture should address general measures to keep the groin clean and dry.

Other times, a skin swab or culture may be taken and sent to the lab to detect an infectious cause of the jock itch or any other skin infection.

Some topical therapies and oral tablets are available over the counter. Miconazole , tolnaftate , clotrimazole , and terbinafine are some of them.You will have to XXXXXXX a dermatologist for the specified drugs.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor