Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

What could be causing right sided hypertrophy in a young person with idiopathic high blood pressure? Consequences?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 192 Questions
Young active individual with right sided hypertrophy

Hi my boyfriend is a young, healthy, active individual who has high blood pressure, as far as we know its idiopathic, he is 26. His father and grandfather both had high blood pressure around the same age. He takes lisinopril daily but it doesn’t seem to be making that big of a difference, he is very careful about monitoring his HTN. He just went for an ECG and his report shows that he has right sided hypertrophy. As I am aware that right sided hypertrophy is caused by things such as Cor Pulmonale, COPD, tears, congenital heart defects such as VSD, PE’s, etc. I guess my question is what could be causing this right sided hypertrophy in an otherwise healthy individual, who is very active? Also what could be possible consequences of the right sided hypertrophy?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 40 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Hypertension usually produces left ventricular hypertrophy. This is because the left ventricle has to do extra 'work' in pumping blood against a raised blood pressure, and the muscle thickness increases to compensate for this.

Right ventricular hypertrophy in isolation is not seen with hypertension alone. I would like you to upload the ECG to this website so that I can analyze the picture and confirm whether there is indeed right ventricular hypertrophy. The automated electronic analysis of the ECG may not always be correct.

If the ECG indeed shows RVH, then an echocardiogram is indicated to confirm the ECG finding and to identify any reasons for this. The prognosis and consequences would depend on the exact diagnosis.

I can give you a more specific answer after you upload the ECG.

Anticipating your response,

Dr RS Varma.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor