What could be causing pain in the stomach, chills and constipation while treating GERD?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Have GERD taking omzeperole (sp?) but now I have pain in stomach, chills and feel constipated. Am going for colonoscopy in two days I’m very nervous
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with colonoscopy

Detailed Answer:

Why are you undergoing colonoscopy? We need to check if the new symptoms are related to the problem for which you are undergoing colonoscopy.

You can continue with Omeprazole and still go for colonoscopy.
Sometimes the recent onset of symptoms of pain in stomach, chills and constipation is because of nervousness. This is common in people who go in for colonoscopy.

So let me understand the reason for colonoscopy.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 2 hours later
I’ve never had one.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Preventive colonoscopy.

Detailed Answer:

If you were having your colonoscopy as part of your preventive health check up, please be assured that you can go ahead with it.
The new symptoms are just because of nervousness.

You can call your doctors office one day before if you are too much worried about the procedure. They may recommend antianxiety medication the night before.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 7 hours later
Thank you. I’m still worried. My digestive system has fallen apart. The GERD is most unpleasant. And of course at 71 I fear the worst about the colonoscopy. But your advice is well taken and has answered my question. I live on an island ( my doctor lives here too) but quick access to medical care isn’t so easy and I must take a long boat ride and car trip for my procedures. Adds to the panic. I was quite healthy( i thought) but turning 70 has required more medical interventions, which have unnerved me thanks for listening.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tips.

Detailed Answer:

Avoid dairy, fried stuff.

Have a liter of warm water early in the morning before your day starts.

Stay upright for at least one hour after meal.

Practice meditation half an hour daily at your convenience.

You feel lot better.

Dr. Suma Parinam, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad