What could be causing intermittent hives, facial swelling, sore throat and severe pain in the shoulders and neck area?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Lump
Question: I have had on and off again hives for a couple of days. Today I woke with hives and a swollen face (especially around the eyes) and beginning of a sore throat. Yesterday afternoon my shoulders and neck area had a lot of pain. I took benadryl for hives and advil for pain. Not sure what is happening as I have never had anything like this before?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Close observation helps to get the cause.

Detailed Answer:

Noted the history.

I can understand understand your concerns as this is happening for the first time.

The commonest cause of such symptoms is an allergy to something which needs to be determined by careful observation by you and the family members.

Try to recollect of anything new in life like atmosphere, clothes, linen, foods, beverages; anything you came in contact with, some work in office/home like painting, exposure to flowers and so on.

The thumb-rule is: Anything under the sun including the sun can cause allergy.

Benedryl should help you out for the allergy.

Advil is a good anti-inflammatory and painkiller and should have helped you for the pain in neck and shoulder.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:

Continue Advil and Benadryl.

But consult your Doctor for clinical evaluation, examination and investigations if needed and also to add on some prescription based medications like oral steroids if deemed necessary by your Doctor.

Also try to identify the cause and avoid it. Prevention is better than cure.

I hope this answer helps you.

Dr. T Chandrakant, General Surgeon