question-icon

What could a persistent cough be from along with some

Posted on Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Question: What could a persistent cough be from along with some slight chest pain? I had a fever for 2 days during the week, but it went away and now im feeling nauseous
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
A persistent cough could be due to bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I think you are suffering from acute bronchitis. It is a viral infection that affects bronchi. Typically bronchitis has a temperature for first days and cough may persist for two weeks.

The chest pain comes due to coughing. Nausea also may come from the increased intraabdominal pressure due to coughing and viral state.

Generally, it doesn't need special medication. You can take herbal cough relievers or Desloratadine.

Keep yourself under observations. If symptoms persist despite this, I'd recommend getting a Chest X-ray done and get yourself checked up by a doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (2 hours later)
Thank you! I didnt have much of an appetite for about a week, and then it slowly came back, and then today I woke up feeling nauseous. I bought mucinex for the cough, could that work?
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Nausea could also be the side effect of Mucinex you just started.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Mucinex can work well. Although, nausea may be a side effect of Mucinex itself.

Hope you will get well soon.

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka