What contraceptive pills are effective at preventing pregnancy?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi , I want to know , how can be sure that intercourse happened or not ?
What the best contraceptive pill available to avoid pregnancy? Do we have to consult docter before taking pill?
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Best contraceptive pill is morning after pill

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to health care magic,

I have gone through your query and understand your concern to avoid pregnancy. You can take morning after pill with in 72 hrs of intercourse.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 29 minutes later
Could you please also confirm - Is there any side effects of taking these pills if incase pregnancy is NOT there?
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are no major side effects with these pills

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I have gone through your follow up query and understand your concern towards side effects of morning after pill ie levonorgestrel
There are no major side effects with these pills even in the absence of pregnancy except some kind of nausea, vomiting, little headache in some individuals which can be subsided in a day or two
So, there is nothing to worry
Fertile period can help in predicting the time of intercourse causing pregnancy ie 8 th to 18 th day of menstrual cycle
These chances may increase if the mating occurs 2 days before and 2 days after including the day of ovulation i.e 14 th day
It is not so required to consult doctor before taking this pill
But you can always take an advise from gynaecologist

Hope this information would help you
Feel free to ask any further questions
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj