What constituent in NyQuil helps in having smooth bowel movement when diagnosed with inflammatory bowel syndrome?
Long-term use of Dextromethorphan is not good.
The medicine you are taking contains Dextromethorphan which causes constipation. Therefore when you take this medication your stools are well formed. However, its a derivative of an opioid group and long-term use is not suggested.
Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug. An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells. Reduces intestinal motility hence cause formed stools.
Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by the patient with minimal side effects. Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines, causing them to relax. Hence formed stools are there.
Dr. Ramesh Kumar
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diet for inflammatory bowel disease
- Drugs/medication for Inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Symptoms inflammatory bowel disease
- Cure for inflammatory bowel disease
- Inflammatory bowel syndrome causes
- Inflammatory bowel disease arthritis
- Treatment and cure for inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Diagnosis of inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Symptoms of inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel itchy anus
- Suggest treatment for dizziness, fatigue and nausea when diagnosed with...
- What causes constant abdominal bloating after gallbladder surgery?
- Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for severe cramps and abdominal pain
- What does my HIDA report result indicate?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, low grade fever and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD
- Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux despite taking Nexium
- Does Tylenol Cold cause diarrhea when taken for cold and flu?
- Suggest treatment for multiple anal abscesses