What constituent in NyQuil helps in having smooth bowel movement when diagnosed with inflammatory bowel syndrome?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Sep 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello my name is XXXXXXX and I have had incomplete bowel movements for numerous years that caused alot of discomfort, irregularity and very small thin bowel movements many times often throughout the day. My question is when I take Nyquil for a cold next day after I have very easy complete bowel movements that appears to look normal. Had colonosposy and barrium enema test done. The last gastroentologist said I have IBS. What ingredient in Nyquil makes me have complete normal looking bowel movements the next day and my body feels good inside? Can you help and give me information?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Long-term use of Dextromethorphan is not good.

Detailed Answer:
The medicine you are taking contains Dextromethorphan which causes constipation. Therefore when you take this medication your stools are well formed. However, its a derivative of an opioid group and long-term use is not suggested.
My suggestions-

Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug. An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells. Reduces intestinal motility hence cause formed stools.
Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by the patient with minimal side effects. Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines, causing them to relax. Hence formed stools are there.

Take care,
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng