What complications can arise for patients over 65 taking valacyclivor.

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Thu, 21 Feb 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What complications can arise for patients over 65 taking valacyclivor. I'm also allergic to penicillin, bee venom and latex
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Generally safe, see below

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Valacyclovir is generally considered a safe medication to take, and especially when it is needed to treat something acutely, such as shingles, the benefit would normally be well worth any risks associated with it.

However, there are certain side effects affecting the brain that can occur more often in elderly patients, such as agitation, hallucinations, confusion, delirium, and seizures. This would especially be a concern if kidney function was less than normal.

Whether or not you should take it would depend on your medical history, especially kidney function, and the disease it was being used to treat and for how long. If you would like to tell me more about that, I could perhaps give more specific advice for you.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to discuss it further with you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana