What characteristics fall under ICD 9 code 348.9?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: What characteristics fall under ICD 9 code 348.9? What does this code encompass?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
description of ICD system and autism like disorder.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Health Care Magic.
Thanks for writing.

I am Dr.Siddiq-ul-abidin. I have read your question completely, i understand your concern and will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know that one of your acquaintances had to suffer from PDD Nos. Though nowadays, because of many behavioural and social therapies, such patient have got hope to cope with the social lives, with comparative ease than before

Based on the history which you have given, Pervasive developmental disorder; Not otherwise specified, which he is suffering is autism like disorder but with many atypical features, so it's not strictly described as a single entity, as many patients with same PDD behave differently. So certain codes have been devised, and are helpful for documentary and legal purposes, to explain the whole symptomology in one phrase or code.

ICD: International classification of diseases, is a system devised by WHO and is followed by many public health care systems like in US, which devises certain codes for specific diseases presentations ands a whole summarised in a mathematical code rather writing long diagnosis, and is normally used in official mortality, morbidity reports, as well as for reimbursements of medical bills etc.

Different revise meets of this system, are being devised from time to time, to overcome the deficiencies with new advancements and ICD9 is soon going to be replaced by ICD10.

It would have been more helpful, if we had known that in what regard, was it needed for you, to guide you further.

I hope this answered your question.If you have more queries I am happy to answer.Otherwise close the discussion and rate my responces.

Regrads.

Dr.Saddiq ul abidin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj