question-icon

What causes you to have trouble swallowing?

Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2018
Question: I am having problems getting my food to go all the way down. This has become an almost daily occurrence.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Detailed evaluation is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
The symptoms you have mentioned suggestive a clinical condition called dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing.
Dysphagia can occur at any age, but it's more common in older adults. The causes of swallowing problems vary, and treatment depends on the cause.
A wide range of diseases can cause swallowing problems. It can range from gastric reflex disease to cancers of esophagus(food pipe).Some neurological diseases can also cause dysphagia, especially in elderly.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get evaluated. You need to run investigations like upper GI endoscopy and manometric studies to find out the exact cause of your problems.
As of now drink plenty of water and avoid spicy foods. You can take drugs like pantoprazole for symptomatic relief.
Wishing you good health
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Shinas Hussain