What causes yellowish white discharge from ears?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My kid is 1 yr 11 months old. Since yesterday night I notice that some yellowish white thick liquide is coming from his both ears. I went to a doctor and doctor has prescribed these following medicine
1. Ear drop candibiotic
2. Augmentin syrup duo
3. Meftal P
4. Relent
Is this infection is a serious issue? Are drugs are safe for kids?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute otitis media or ear infection - avoid Meftal

Detailed Answer:
Hi....by what you quote I feel your kid is having otitis media or ear infection.

Except Meftal you can give all medicines.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Meftal contains Mefenamic acid which is a NSAID. It carries the risk of gastritis and renal problems in the long run. Please do not use Meftal.

Coming to seriousness of infection... Sometimes untreated ear infection can spread to the brain. Uncomplicated ear infection need not be worried about.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 54 minutes later
I heard that in case of ear infection kid will cry because it is very painful. But my kid is not crying. No fever also. Why so?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain will be there initially sometimes - later on no pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi....usually in middle ear infection or otitis media, initially there will be pain in acute stage. That pain is due to the bulging of tympanic membrane. When the membrane ruptures and the pus exudes out the pain and fever subside. This is probably the reason why there is no pain.
Fever response might or might not be there in every infection.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth