question-icon

What causes yellowish stool while suffering from food poisoning?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: I HAVE FOOD POSIONING FROM EATING VERY OLD FRENCH DRESSING, VERY OLD. I'VE HAD ALL THE SYMPTONS GOING AWAY BUT I HAVE YELLOW FLUID POURING OU INSTEAD. IS THIS THE END OR AM I GETTING WORSE? I'M VERY WORRIED ABOUT THIS YELLOW STUFF. IS THIS BILE? WHAT DO I DO?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This is not bile

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
His is not bile,this is normal course of food intoxication and happens when feces is very diluted and then stercobilin which is produced in liver,may colour stool to be yellow or green. you should drink plenty of fluids at this point,take probiotics and rest. If you feel dizziness, high grade fever or see blood in stool ,you should visit doctor. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon