question-icon

What causes yellowish stool in an infant with jaundice?

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015
Question: Hi,

My baby is 28 days old and she was diagnosed with jaundice and on 14th day since she was born she had bilirubin count 15.2 MG/dl. Since my blood group is O+ doc said it is normal. Few days later we again had test for bilirubin and that time it was 12.2 MG/ dl. Now today I had noticed my baby's stool very light yellow in color.m really worried.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It is normal and not a cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Neonatal hyperbilirubinemia occurs physiologically i.e. normally in many children. When it occurs beyond 14 days of life, it is usually coupled with inadequate feed intake as well (leading to dehydration and thereby jaundice). In any case, feeding the baby properly and giving phototherapy usually takes care of the problem. I have checked the image of the stool sample and it seems fine to me. It is not a cause of concern. You need not worry. Just feed your baby properly and things would be fine.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician