What causes yellowish green stool?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Dr, I find the colour of my daughters potty weird. She does this colour potty only once a day 3hrs after eating sweet potato. Have attached the image herewith. Pls advice.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. The first thing that I need to ask is age o the child. It is normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. The green colour occurs due to rapid transit through large intestine where the bile pigments do not get adequate time to convert to the yellow colour of stool. There can be variation in the nature of stool with change in diet.

If the child is passing urine at regular intervals, there is no cause for concern.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Thank u Dr. The age of the child is 6.5months. Yes, she is passing urine at regular intervals. Also her weight is 6kg and birth weight was 2.6kg as on 5th Aug-16.Is she growing normally?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Things are fine.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The birth weight of a baby usually doubles by 5 months of age and triples by 10-12 months of age. So, the growth is proper.

It is absolutely normal for a child of this age to pass stool several times a day. If urine frequency is normal there is nothing to get concerned about.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 hours later
Thanks a lot for the confirmation.Also, i wanted to get my daughter's ear pierced. Is shotgun advisable?
Brief Answer:
Not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Although shotgun causes relatively less injury, such a process always bears a risk of infection. I do not suppose that it is a good idea to go for piercing at such a tender age. However, in case you still want, you are free to go ahead with it.