What causes yellowish discoloration in inner canthus of the scleras?

Posted on Wed, 2 Apr 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: The inner canthus of my scleras have been yellow for a couple of years now. Hasn't changed in size or location, but I'm very concerned. Any ideas.
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yellow eye Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. In function that you refer,the more likely diagnosis is Pinguecula. Pinguecula is a eye pathology with deposit of yellowish-white substance in inner canthus of sclera, common in people aged 20-40 years,related to sun exposure. You should go to the Ophthalmologist to confirm this diagnosis.If Pinguecula is confirmed,probably treatment not will be necessary.If pinguecula is discarded , other possible diagnosis is Liver Pathology.In that case, your physician must request measurement in blood of liver enzymes (GOT and GPT). I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 32 minutes later
Thank you very much. My optometrist confirmed this 3 years ago, but i thought she was just trying to sell me an extra pair of sunglasses. Is there anything i can do to make it less visible? Id like to wear contacts again
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Pinguecula Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. The best therapy for to make it less visible is to avoid sun exposure. Surgical intervention is not recommended because scar after surgery may be greater than the yellow deposit. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.
Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz