What causes yellowish coating on the tongue?
Likely to be glossitis
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greeting of the day
Going by description of your symptoms it seems to geographical tongue( Idiopathic Glossitis), which changes the appearance. As the white patch that is leukoplakia is not constant and fixed there seems to be no cause for concern.
Following could be contributing factors
1. Excessive use of mouthwash causing chemical irritation
2. Use of tobacco
3. Excessive spices in food '
4. Vitamin deficiency
I would suggest you the following
1. Stop use of Mouthwash , instead gargle with lukewarm water with table salt added
2. Oral multivitamin supplements
3. Stop use of tobacco/alcohol in any form
If the symptoms persist then do consult your primary care physician for further clinical examination and assessment.
Kindly keep me updated about the progress
Dr Shobha Deepak
Additional information required
I have gone through the picture prior to my answering. It would be very helpful if you could provide following additional information
1. Do you smoke or consume tobacco in any form ?
2. Do you consume alcohol, if yes then whats the quantity and in how many years?
Awaiting your response
Do not use hydrogen peroxide
It getting cleared with Hydrogen peroxide suggest coating of tongue with debris which could be due to underlying gingivitis and associated vitamin deficiency. Do follow the first advise and things should be fine .
Also you can use tongue cleaner. Routine use of hydrogen peroxide for mouth wash is not recommended.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes a orangeyellow tongue
- What causes tongue cancer
- What causes fluffy tongue
- What causes burning sensation on tongue with white coating
- Cause of yellow coated tongue
- What causes thickness of tongue
- What causes a tingly tongue
- What causes burning tongue
- What causes a cracked tongue
- What causes yellowish dots on tongue of a child
- Taking Limcee for TB. What could be the reason for blood in sputum?
- Noticed increase in blood pressure after eating. Colonoscopy and CT scan...
- Should I be concerned about a lump under my right clavicle?
- Can Loprin be taken at 5 weeks pregnancy?
- What is the reason for skin around nose and hair line turning black?
- Suffering from loose motion after taking azithral for sore throat...
- What is the reason for numbness in leg and body after walking on thread...
- What is the cure for chest contraction and back muscle that developed...
- What is the cure for persistent nausea?
- Can drinking coffee and smoking causes gloating, nausea and dizziness?