Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What causes yellowing of the eyes and headache with fatigue in an alcoholic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2212 Questions
Hello! I just noticed that my husband has a very slight yellowing to his eyes. I know that can indicate liver problems. He takes quite a lot of Advil- about two every other day, and last week had a really really bad hangover for not a lot of drinking. He had six beers and the next morning he vomited three times and had severe fatigue and aching all over his body for a full day. He also has done a huge amount of drinking throughout his 20s. He is now 34, and is an otherwise very good health. He doesn't have any other symptoms of liver issues i.e. upper right quadrant pain or fever or yellowing of the skin. How serious is this, and what else could it be? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible alcoholic liver disease.... Detailed Answer: Hi, If your husband is taking Advil so frequently, this means that he is having frequent headaches or body aches. If frequent headaches, then, I suggest to monitor his blood pressure and record the results for further evaluation. Next, you are mentioning that your husband is a heavy drinker. Alcohol itself will cause damages to the liver and to other body organs giving problems like slight yellowing of the eyes. I suggest that he should run some blood work to determine if he is having alcoholic liver disease or other problems: - complete blood profile - liver/kidney/pancreas function tests - biochemistry tests - abdominal ultrasound - fasting blood glucose + HbA1C - lipid profile The slight yellowing of the eyes could indicate damage of the liver most probably due to alcoholic liver disease. However, the above-mentioned tests are necessary to determine it. The results of lab tests would determine if the problems of your husband are critical or can be resolved. I also advise to approach him and convince to stop drinking alcohol. If you cannot do it alone, then, you can ask to get helped from any local clinic for alcoholics. All the best! Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor