What causes yellow vaginal discharge with odd odour?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello! I am an XXXX so please consider my assessment. I have history of MRSA in C-sec wound in 2009. I now have what appears to be a cross between a bug bite and cellulitis on right upper thigh. I believe it is also MRSA as it has a pimple looking center and huge red, hard, hot to touch diameter around it. I squeezed it last nite to relieve the pressure and green pus came out. Today, yellow pus expelled. I am also having yellow vaginal discharge with an odd odor. Not foul, not yeast, just smells like infection. Is it possible to have vaginal discharge R/T MRSA? Or do u feel this is something separate. No itching, burning, no pain on urination, however intercourse is painful. Had online Dr visit was prescribed cephalexin 500 mg po Q 6 hours x 10 days. I intend to see my MD tomorrow. Can you please give me your opinion on the vaginal discharge?? Thank u for your time.
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
VagInal infection have no relation with cellulitis and MRSA

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query.

I understand your health issue and I will try to help you.

VagInal infection have no relation with cellulitis and MRSA,but it maybe a simple infection .
More common vaginal infection with odd odor are caused from gardnerella vaginalis .
Hence a course of metronidazole ,gel,vaginal ovules or tablets for 5 to 7 days can help you.

But the exact diagnosis can be done only by doing a vaginal swab.

During the time you are using Cephalexin try to have vitamins rich diet ,especially vit C and water.
You can add in your diet , probiotics ,they are found more in yogurt ,or you can buy them in a drug store .
They can help you for vaginal infection ,and can stop yeast infection.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad