What causes yellow vaginal discharge with itching?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I am 58 yrs. young but have not had an intimate partner for 15 yrs. Wasn't interested after leaving my husband.
Now a man has come into my life and our intimacy is usually oral sex. He is 68 and has ED and with the help of Viagra we have had intercourse only a couple of times. Even with the pill he still has issues with maintaining an erection. My problem is I have recently developed a vaginal discharge (thick and dark yellow to brownish in color. No odor) and itching. We have been together for about 3 mo. The discharge started giving me concerns about 3 days ago.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal natural discharge.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the yellowish to brown discharge since 3 days.

After reading your query and analysing the facts provided by you let me reassure you that the kind of discharge which you are mentioning is most commonly a natural discharge.

As there is no other symptoms along with odourless appearance, makes the discharge to appear normal.

There appears to no role of any Sexually transmitted infection in your case because of no associated symptoms.

If the discharge continues to appear more than a week period then can meet a gynecologist to just check the normality of the genital tract.

I hope these informations will relax you.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY & Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: What causes yellow vaginal discharge with itching? 9 hours later
the itching was not addressed

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Maintain a good hygiene

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear young lady,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up.

There can be itching of mild to moderate grade in your case which can either related to stress or due to wet area at vaginal interoitus.

For itching I suggest you following measures:

-You should wear cotton undergarments

- Maintain a good hygiene

- Change your tampons regularly

- Do not sit for long hours

If at all the itching is troublesome then can take loratadine tablet (Claritin) for 1-2 times a day.

Do remember that if the discharge continue for next 4 days then should meet a gynecologist.

I hope these informations will help you.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia