What causes yellow lights in the line of vision post ultrasound?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Two months ago I had DBS surgery for my Parkinsons disease. I was at the dentist yesterday getting my teeth cleaned. The hygienist used ultrasound to clean my teeth. Almost immediately, I saw bright yellow lights flashing even though my eyes were closed. She stopped using ultrasound immediately. I have not seen the flashing lights since. What could have caused this?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Retinal examination needed.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There is no urgency,but you have to get a detailed retinal examination of the periphery, to look for any degenerative patch.These flashes may be a coincidence as I have never seen reports of their association with ultrasound. It is a good warning for you to detect a problem before any damage is done.
Seek a retinal examination appointment, and if necessary get back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar