• question-icon

What causes yellow discharge from the nipples?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife 46, healthy, works out daily, 130lbs, has a yellow discharge out of both nipples. Has a emergency apt mon with her gyn. She is very worried. Any thoughts would be cery helpful. I have attached a clise up picture
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be papilloma or hormonal change.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
I've reviewed the attached image.

A yellow discharge and from both breasts is likely to be due to perimenopausal hormonal changes or duct papilloma.

A papilloma is a harmless wart-like growth, usually about 1-2cm in size, found inside one of the breast ducts. The breast ducts carry milk from the gland to the nipple. The papilloma is usually just behind the nipple and can cause fluid or blood to seep out of the nipple.

It can be easily removed.

Although the discharge may be alarming, rest assured that it is not likely to be anything serious. However, you should still get it checked by her Doctor so they can rule out breast pathologies and offer any necessary treatment.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Wishing her good health.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Her family does have early menopause on the female side. She says the the area with the discharge on both breast itch very very bad. I have given her benadryl for that but does that help with your dianoses??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More likely to be menopause related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The itching and discharge is more likely to be menopause related. Still it is best to investigate and rule out any malignancy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN