question-icon

What causes yellow coloured stool?

Posted on Mon, 9 Feb 2015
Question: What would be the cause of having green to yellow feces. I really don't think it has anything to do with foods being eaten.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (21 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Bile

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The most common reason for the stool to turn yellow is colouring agent used in the food. The second most common reason is bile. Most often it is normal, however if it is associated with pain abdomen and loss of appetite I strongly suggest you to get a liver function test and ultra sound abdomen done.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist