• question-icon

What causes yellow colour fluid discharge from left ear?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have half an eardrum in my left ear and it is draining fluid as I sleep all over my outside ear . It is dry and crusty in the morning and the ear canal is full of fluid that is a yellow color. I have cipro drops. I haven't used them yet but should I start back again? Is this draining normal?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ottis media, need to be evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
From the history and clinical correlation it seems you have chronic otitis media.

I would suggest you to do the following.

Presently you have discharge and is very copious, for this you need a course of antibiotics and anti histamine after pus culture testing. Ask your doctor about this.
As this is recurrent condition, before starting the antibiotic course, pus sample need to be collected, culture need to be done to find the exact causative organism.
Following examination You may also need an local antibiotic ear drop.
Other measures:
Do not take head bath for the next one week or put oil to your hair
Do not put ear buds or try to clean the ear by yourself
Avoid any water to enter the ear. For this take a piece of clean cotton, dip in Vaseline and squeeze it nicely and place it in the entrance of your ear canal.

You need to see ENT specialist, for thorough examination of your ear and find out the status of your tympanic membrane.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Harish Naik