What causes yellow and greenish vaginal discharge in a post-menopausal woman?

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I am 61 yr old female that finished menopause years ago and have been having a yellow, greenish discharge off and on for several months. I have not had any kind of discharge for years. I have no other symptoms that I know of that relate to that.
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaginal Infection

Detailed Answer:
Hallow Dear,

Would you mind sharing your name with me?

At this age, in the post menopausal period of life, due to paucity of Oestrogen hormone, vagina undergoes atrophy. In this process, vaginal lining also undergoes atrophy which diminishes the vaginal resistance. Moreover, this leads to loss of natural vagina flora which is formed by Lactobacillus bacteria. This renders vagina very vulnerable for different infections.

Though at this age, the commoner vaginal infection is yeast or fungus, description of your discharge suggests that you are having Trichomonal infection.
Do you have vaginal itching, terminal burning urination? Is the discharge frothy? Please update me with this information so that I can suggest you the treatment.

Usually Trichomonal infection co-exists with fungal infection also. Fungal discharge is white flaky discharge. Do you have such characteristics of the discharge?

You may go for laboratory check up of the discharge to find out exact cause.

I will suggest you medicines once you answer my above questions. However, meanwhile, please start Lactycid vaginal which will help you keep your vagina clean and healthy with required pH and also will help regain the normal flora of Lactobacilli.

I am awaiting for your reports and elaborate description of the discharge and other symptoms if any.

If you want to have any more information from me, I am always available for you, dear.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar