Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

What causes yeast infection behind the foreskin in males ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
I'm a 54 y.o. uncircumcised man. Many years ago a Dr. diagnosed a yeast infection behind the foreskin which I think may have now re-occured. Is this a common male problem? I don't remember what the remedy was except that it was fairly simple and quick acting. Being that its the weekend, is there anything I can do myself to treat it? I'm 5'9", 190lbs, in good health with no medical allergies. Also, I'm in a healthy monogomous relationship.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 9 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Yeast infection does occur in males and is characterized by burning sensation, itching, discharge, red rashes and soreness of penile head. Either one or some symptoms may be present. If these are the symptoms then yeast infection can be considered.

You can apply any OTC available antifungal ointment containing Cotrimazole or Miconazole and apply after proper cleaning twice a day for 5 days.

Considering your age the symptoms can be due to raised Blood Sugar even as yeast infection is common in Diabetic persons. So kindly get your Blood Sugar levels tested once.

Some measures:

1)Wash the area twice with any antibacterial soap and water and keep it dry.

2)Wear cotton underwear and avoid tight fitting lowers.

3)Increase Yoghurt in the diet.

4)Avoid having intercourse until cured.

If the symptoms persist even after few days or are worsened then consider visiting a Physician for physical examination.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor