What causes wrist pain after an injury?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
About 2 weeks ago I injured my wrist while doing a simple yoga pose:
1. since then the side of my left wrist is very painful in certain positions
2. it is painful when I twist my left wrist to certain positions
3. when I awake in the mornings I feel the symptoms most & it is very sore in certain positions - then after I move it around some & stretch my left wrist it feels better
4. these symptoms have persisted for about 2 weeks & it seems to be healing very slowly
5. do you think this can be something other than just an injury? like arthritis? or maybe something else?
6. any recommendations?
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Arthritis not likely.

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to a tendon injury or a small hairline fracture in the wrist. This takes 4-6 weeks of proper rest for improvement. An MRI scan of the wrist is best way to find the cause of the persistent pain that you have.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X ray or MRI.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes wrist pain after an injury? 2 days later
Doctor --

1. I have given my left wrist some rest and not used it much over the last couple of days & so I have experienced some pain relief

2. but I do notice that the side of my left wrist has some swelling & it is still painful in certain positions

3. but I have noticed some improvement over the last couple of days [especially since I have not used it much]

4. do you have any other suggestions? should I continue to monitor progress? or should I seek medical attention, x-rays, MRI?

thank you,

Brief Answer:
Wait and let it heal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If only rest has helped then you can continue with rest and monitor the progress. The mild swelling should also subside with time. In case there is a sudden acute pain on a specific movement then a fracture needs to be ruled out after an M RI scan or X-ray.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes wrist pain after an injury? 3 days later
Dr -

1. I wanted to let you know that my wrist has improved with complete rest
2. I still have some pain but it is much better
3. When do you suggest that I should resume activities that place stress on the wrist such as yoga?
4. Also - I am surprised that my wrist was injured in a very basic yoga pose - does it suggest any overall weakness to you? Maybe a Vitamin deficiency? I am asking this because it appears that I often get injured in yoga & sometimes quite severe

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with rest.

Detailed Answer:
It is good that your symptoms have improved. You should start with daily routine activities after 3 weeks. Avoid any stressful activities for 6 weeks and start everything gradually. Tendon sprains are late to heal.
This due3 to inadequate warming up and lesser muscle tone. You can get your serum calcium, magnesium and vitamin D3 levels evaluated and start with proper supplements according to the report.
Regards.