• question-icon

What causes worsening of gout symptoms while on Levothyroxine?

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband had thyroid surgery this week, started Levothyroxine .150MG (1 daily). He has gout very bad; is this a possible side effect of the medicine. He is taking Indomethacin 75MG, but doesn't seem to be getting under control.
Answered by Dr. Neel Kudchadkar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Levothyroxine not responsible. Replace Indomethacin.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

I am Dr. Neel Kudchadkar from Health Care Magic and I warmly welcome you to my virtual clinic! I have gone through your questions very carefully, and being your physician, I will help you with your health problems.

You have mentioned that your husband is going to have thyroid surgery.
You have also said that he is taking Levothyroxine and Indomethacin medications.

I would like to tell you that, given the fact that he has gout, Indomethacin is a pain killer, in fact it is an NSAID drug that is given to people with pain issues.

You might want to be informed that the side effects of Levothyroxine, according to my experience, have not caused these issues that he is suffering from. Levothyroxine makes the heart beat faster and drives the cardiovascular system. At worst, it may cause a very mild hair loss.

Note well, however, that Levothyroxine does not hurt the heart. I merely stated that it is a basic hormone and "drives" the heart.

Now, let us be practical, It is time to change the Indomethacin medicine and replace it with another NSAID drug. You have many options. The best of all choices is to visit a doctor face to face and decide which is best.

Kindly follow these instructions.

I encourage you to ask any further doubts and health related questions.

Take care,
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Health Care Magic
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar