What causes worms infestation?

Posted on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I saw a few little strings that were whitish in color. I'm not sure if they were what the internet calls "Pinworms". I don't have any chronic itching around my anus, and I had the outside portion of my anus looked at recently tonight because it says the worms come out at night to lay eggs. I'm really paranoid and afraid of having these parasites. I didn't take a picture at the time. Is there anyway it could have been something else and not worms? I feel a sense of pressure currently almost like I have a lot of gas build up in my digestive tract. I'm just not sure. If it was these worms would I know or could there be no symptoms of "anus itching?"
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Itis not pinworm! Most likely indigestible fibers from food!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you observed and all the disturbing thoughts this has caused you. I have reviewed your information fully and it is not suggestive of any possible pinworm infestation. Pin worms are so tinny that seeing them with the naked eye is almost impossible. That is why we always look under the microscope after collecting a specimen. Also, with no symptom, the possibility to have it is very low.

If this were for real a worm infestation, there is little to be worried about as a one time tablet resolves the problem fully. However, there is no information to suggest it is at this time and that is why I will not recommend any drug.

Right now, I will recommend you observe the stool again. I am pretty sure this observation is transient and would not happen again. However, should this continue, I will recommend a stool test to clear any lingering doubts and make sure there is nothing we are missing out on today. Please, relax and be calm. There is no need for great fear at this time because the worse case scenario can be managed with no difficulties.

I hope this addresses your fears. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Ivo Ditah